Wednesday, July 23, 2008

In The Professional Kitchen

One of my recurring dreams these past few years has been to work in a professional kitchen with a real chef. It's finally going to happen this weekend when I work as a line cook for my friends who are putting on a Burning Man fundraiser for their camp.
"Tasty" (http://sf.tasty-music.com/) has been around for a while and although I used to be an active participant in their shenanigans since the inception a couple of years ago when I was still lolling around with the group. Only now, I have become much more of a stranger than I would like to be with this crowd of really interesting and fun 30-somethings.

Good people are hard to come by and I'm a idiot for letting good friends go. My intentions have never been mercurial, but sometimes people change, situations change and more often than not, I change. The intentions to stay in touch, to keep up with friends have always been there. In this sense, I'm not a very good friend. On the other hand, I am always there to fulfill a favor. I will always be there.

So, what started off as a quick request to borrow my roasting pan quickly turned into: "Some people bailed, can you be one of my line cooks this Saturday?"

YES. Yes, I can.

No comments: