Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Formosa Bento House

Formosa Bento House
2660 Broadway St
Redwood City, CA 94063
(650) 568-1782
Categories: Taiwanese, Japanese


I just got back from having the beef noodle soup for lunch, and it was well worth the 20 minute car ride each way from my office in driving rain, wet feet/shoes and all around crappy day.

This large bowl of fresh ramen-style noodles was brimming with tender brisket slices and chunks of soft, lean beef and topped with a little mountain of baby bok choy and spinach. They gave a little ramikin of pickled mustard greens on the side, and had their own housemade chili paste that was good enough to be bottled and sold. The beef broth was deep, rich and dark.

I am not a big lunch eater, but I ate that entire hearty, steamy bowl of goodness. The owners are very friendly Taiwanese folks from Ilan county and the cafe/restaurant is extremely clean. The service is attentive and straightforward.

However, the draw is their true-to-form, homestyle, Taiwanese "Hong Shao" Beef Noodle Soup. Each bite was like sitting at my mother's dining table or on the rickety stool and formica table at the famous noodle shop in the alleyway behind my grandparents' home in Taipei.

They serve traditional "Bian Dang" (Taiwanese/Japanese style bento boxes) with all the goodness you find on a street corner in Taiwan.

Go here for the noodles, fresh out of the kitchen. If you want take away, I'd suggest one of the fried bento packages.

I'm coming back and I'm bringing an army of hungry people with me!

No comments: