Monday, April 28, 2008

Gypsy Life

When meeting new people, I am inevitably asked the same things over and over again:

"Where did you grow up?"
"What nationality are you?"
"Where's your hometown?"

Simple questions, right? Well, not really. In my case, it's like reiterating A Tale of Two Cities, only more boring. So, I usually provide the abridged version: "around."

If the person I'm speaking to seems like s/he wants to hear more, I usually launch into it. If not, I hijack the conversation and steer it towards something more interesting like underarm odor or ask them about food (because everyone has an opinion about food. if they don't, then it's time for me to exit off stage left).

I know I've tackled this topic before, and even have probably come to some steady conclusions as to what to do in my current predicament-I'm stuck in one place, a slave to the devalued dollar I earn. Yet...I ask MYSELF these questions over and over again:

"Will I really ever be happy in one place?"
"Will I ever find someone who understands? Who would want to live this type of lifestyle if I choose to go the route of wanderer?"
"Can I ever feel satiated in one place?"

Ahh, the difficult answers that require more than one sentence.

No comments: