Saturday, April 26, 2008

Most Important Sense


The flu I have is driving me insane. Beyond the congestion, hoarse and man-ish voice, and gobs of snot/phlegm/viscous fluids coming out of my orifices, I'm left without any taste.

Everything these past couple of days have tasted mildly salty, a little sweet, nothing ever bitter, and nothing really all that spicy or sour. I don't think I can keep living like this. One of my few pleasures in life is to be able to distinguish whether something is fresh or contains too much spice or is underseasoned.

Needless to say, I can not detect umami either. Shit.

Take away my sense of sight, I can deal with it. Beauty is still determinable via the other senses, and in relation to humans, perhaps it would be even better that I NOT rely on sight as it usually deters me from really truly knowing people whom I'd otherwise just write off.

Take away my ability to hear, and I can still FEEL music through percussion and rhythm. Vibrato channeled through the body can be an incredible experience. Nuances would be lost, yes. Melodies would not be detected, but I'd live a decent life, nonetheless.

Without touch or feeling would be pretty upsetting, but there would be the other sense again to remind me that there is life beyond feeling burned, a soft cashmere sweater, petting a long-haired cat or holding a lover's hand. It would OK.

However, taste is something I just can not live without. To have to put food into my body for nourishment only would be like a slow and tortuous death sentence. Fresh live uni, slow braised pot roast, 2005 chianti, perfectly steamed xiao long baos with scalding hot soup in each perfect little dumpling and fresh ginger with black vinegar...I CAN'T CONTINUE THIS LIST RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I'M GETTING DEPRESSED.

I hope I get my taste back soon.

1 comment:

Ima said...

You're preachin' to the choir, Sister. I live to eat! Hummus, salmon, crispy chicken skin, olives, mortadella, goat cheese, sourdough bread, baked potatoes with everything on them, carne asada, avocados, cherry tomatoes with salt, chicken tikka masala, platanos con crema y frijoles, milanesa Argentinean style, dark chocolate...