Thursday, May 15, 2008

My Kind of Therapy

I had plans this evening of going out to the Castro to celebrate the CA State Supreme Court's ruling to allow gay marriages. My friends Andy and Adrienne really just wanted another reason to go drinking again, but after having spent little time at home this week and getting a little antsy to just relax [and especially in this unseasonably warm weather], I bailed.

Honestly, the office has been stressing me out as of late. The work keeps growing, and although I don't see myself in administration for the rest of my life, sometimes it feels like it. My only way out is to keep doing the things I love, like writing and cooking, and hoping that one day, someone will cut me some slack and actually be interested in what I have to say and the stories I have to tell.

So, still a little stressed and worried when I got home, I threw off my work clothes, and went straight to the fridge to pull out the ingredients for a simple supper. As soon as I got into the rhythm of chopping, soaking, kneading and saute-ing, I felt instant relief from my day....and much of my worries from this week. The neck muscles relaxed as my arms twiddled up and down with my chef's knife. Thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack.

I am feeling much better now!

Sweet and Sour Japanese Meatballs

Meatballs

4 pieces of reconstituted shitake mushrooms, chopped finely
3 tbsp of finely chopped green scallions
1/2 lbs of ground kurobuta pork
1/2 lbs of ground beef
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp of whole milk

Sweet and Sour Sauce

3 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
splash of sesame oil

Combine meatball ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix well with hands. Form little meatballs about 1" in diameter. Place meatballs in a skillet with about 2 tbsp of vegetable oil heated thoroughly at low-medium heat. Please meatballs in skillet and brown, making sure to get all of the sides cooked.



While the meatballs are cooking, combine the sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well, and when the meatballs look nice and brown on the outside, pour the sweet and sour sauce in, coating all of the meatballs well. Cook on low heat until sauce turns thick and the meatballs are well done.

Garnish with chopped scallions. Serve with rice and/or green salad.

No comments: