Sunday, May 04, 2008

Spring Vegetables Part II

I've already hit on the topic of seasonal ingredients in a prior post, but looking through the list of ingredients for every season, I'm tempted to say my favorites are Spring and Fall. Summer is packed with fruits, and the sugar levels in a Summer diet filled with fruit is just a little too much for my palate. Winter is great, with all of the citrus fruits, but also lacking in a lot of leafy greens.

The menu this week:

Fresh Carrot and Cauliflower Soup
Sugar Snap Peas with Mint
Moroccan New Potato Stew
Stewed Hunza Apricots with Vanilla Rice Ice Cream

I realize I need to add protein to my diet, but I'll probably go out to dinner or lunch around 2-3 times this week so I'll order meat entrees as well as boosting up the nut intake. I'm also slowly starting to consume eggs again even though I don't process them well. We'll see how it goes. I've already lost 2-3 pounds since limiting my carbohydrate and meat intake.

I also plan to stop drinking at those dumb happy hours on Fridays. Destroy Your Liver? No thanks. I like my liver and Saturday mornings too much.

Btw, HOORAY! The Fillmore Farmer's Market is back, on Saturday mornings!!! I just saw a flyer for it this morning on my way home from Ashtanga class.

I FINALLY did a Pincha Mayurasana (bent elbow stand) with the aid of a wall, and didn't run out of steam halfway through the five-minute pose. It felt incredibly normal to be upside down for that long...perhaps I was a bat in a previous life?

No comments: